"New" PC

skinmarquee
Site Admin

"New" PC

Post by skinmarquee »

Since my mother donated $70 I was able to buy a renewed PC on Amazon.

I want to start collecting EliteDesk 800 SFF PCs. I already have a G1 and was able to buy a G2. It has a i5 6500. I will probably not be using it until I get some parts for it. I need an SSD and GPU before I start using it, but I also want to upgrade the RAM and put a BluRay drive in it (possibly just swap the DVD with the BluRay in my laptop.)

I think I want an RX 6400 for it and am getting some money back from taxes, so I will maybe be able to buy one.

My midlife crisis is running everything on Lowest settings so it should be good for many new games once it's upgraded!
skinmarquee
Site Admin

Re: "New" PC

Post by skinmarquee »

I found out when I'm getting my taxes back, and borrowed some money until then to get an RX 6400 and SSD. I can run it with just those two things and it'll be an improvement over my current EliteDesk 800 G1 with GT 1030.

I will be upgrading the RAM to the max capacity since DDR3 is pretty cheap, and longer term I'll see if I can put a BluRay in it.

I want to save up and buy Day's Gone on Steam, it looks right up my alley.
skinmarquee
Site Admin

Post by skinmarquee »

Well I got 3 development PCs now. And a laptop which is also sometimes a development PC.

EliteDesk 800 G2
i5 6500
8 GB RAM
500 GB HDD
NVIDIA GT 1030
Windows 10 Pro

EliteDesk 800 G1
i5 4570
Tomorrow it'll be 32 GB RAM when I pick it up
250 GB SSD
AMD RX 6400
Debian 12

Raspberry Pi 5
8 GB RAM
64 GB Samsung Fit Plus for HDD
Debian 12

The laptop is:
Acer Aspire of some kind
i5 10th gen
12 GB RAM
512 GB SSD
Intel graphics
Debian 12

The RX 6400 is quite an improvement over the 1030. Over triple the FPS with everything maxed out in The Room 4 which is a beautiful game. Some say these GPUs without an 9 pin power are just toys, but there are so many old games I haven't played I don't even look at new games, I'm trying to catch up.
skinmarquee
Site Admin

Post by skinmarquee »

My mom sent me ebay gift cards. I was able to order a barebones 800 G3 as a long term project! No CPU, RAM or HDD or optical. It has the case, motherboard, psu and CPU fan.

One of my hobbies is fixing up old computers. I often give them away, but I want to keep 1 of each of the 800 G's. But if I see any cheap and I have any money, I'll grab them just to fix up and give away or keep 2 of each so I have a spare.
skinmarquee
Site Admin

Post by skinmarquee »

But I'm having a problem with my HDMI audio sometimes going staticky on my RX 6400 on Linux. They only thing I saw was replace the HDMI cable, which seems unlikely to fix it but I bought on on the ebay cards also just in case.

The only issue I have is I never have money for games...